Monday, February 3, 2014

Focus on Internships


In 2012, 69% of companies with 100 or more employees offered full-time jobs to their interns, according to Forbes. Not to mention, applicants with relevant internship experience have a much higher chance of landing full-time positions with other companies. Internships are critical in today's job market. Don't miss Career's Focus on Internships this February where you'll have the chance to attend our great line-up of industry specific employer panels and workshops that will expand your opportunities and widen your network!

Here's a guest blog from our very own Marketing Intern extraordinaire, Seamus Roddy. See how his successful internship experience helped him land an awesome full-time job:

"With graduation looming in the all-to-near future I brought my nearly incoherent résumé to Career Services during Fall of my junior year.   After meeting with career counselors, Brittany Manzer and Molly Steen, my résumé improved greatly and I had the confidence to put myself out in the job market. During Internship Week I heard Dave Palmer speak on the internships he offers every year at Career Services.  I applied and landed one of the positions. I immediately enjoyed working at Career and appreciated the responsibility and accountability the staff allotted to me. 

The following year, with a fresh notch of internship experience on my résumé, I applied for a full-time position with Oracle Corporation for after my June graduation.  From talking to Oracle at the Fall Career Fair, applying through GauchoLink, attending an on-campus interview, and ultimately receiving a job offer, I went through Career’s services the entire way.  Less than a year prior to the offer and my subsequent acceptance, I was another student replying “I don’t know” to the questions we all get about our future – but now equipped with the guidance and experience I got through Career I had landed a job for post-graduation before Fall quarter had even ended. Each employee at Career Services is totally dedicated to getting you employed –it really does amaze me how much they care and the effort they put in is remarkable.  The hard part of beginning your life after college is done −you attend one of the best universities in the country, now let Career help you hone your skills, refine your résumé, and get you the exposure and experience you need to be hired. Career Services will get you employed, you just need to take the initial step and walk through the door."


Thanks for sharing, Seamus!

No comments:

Post a Comment